Vacancy December 2021
We are only accepting direct applications; no agencies thank you.
SpyBiotech is a life sciences biotech company, we are backed by highly respected venture capital investors and are transforming the global vaccine landscape through our ground-breaking protein superglue technology.
Our unique technology platform has opened-up the possibility of delivering life-saving vaccines against major health challenges. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to be part of our exciting high growth, high potential journey.
As a scientist, you are expected to actively participate in our preclinical research program developing novel vaccine candidates. Based at the company’s state-of-the-art laboratories in Oxford Business Park in East Oxford, you will be joined by a team of enthusiastic and like-minded scientists who thrive on research, innovation, and excellence.
Using our core technology, the SpyTag/SpyCatcher protein superglue, you will be part of the preclinical vaccine development team working on the production of vaccine candidates against infectious diseases.
We are seeking a highly organised and motivated individual, with a working knowledge and practical experience in molecular biology to perform research into new vaccine candidates.
There is significant excitement about the technology in the field, thus this position offers excellent career progression as the company grows from strength to strength.
- Perform molecular research relating to the design and generation of new vaccine candidates, including DNA cloning, PCR and tissue culture as required.
- Perform assays with qPCR readout.
- Perform molecular research work, relating to the isolation and production of new monoclonal antibodies.
- Interpret results, and produce well written, compliant and traceable laboratory notebooks and raw data files.
- Maintain reliable and complete molecular biology databases.
- Write and review SOPs.
- Manage projects as required.
- Contribute molecular biology expertise, as requested, to other member of staffs and collaborators.
- Provide education and training to other staffs as necessary and appropriate.
- Contribute to the efficient running, cleanliness and tidiness of the laboratory.
- Flexibility to perform other duties as and when required.
- Degree in a relevant biological subject.
- Extensive experience in molecular biology techniques including cloning, PCR, qPCR, RT-PCR, extraction of DNA and RNA.
- Experience in rational construct design for protein expression in various systems.
- Experience in using construct design software.
- Self-motivated, technically competent, and capable of working independently in a laboratory.
- Ability to learn new techniques and apply them to a high standard.
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing demands whilst operating under pressure to deadlines.
- Good documentation and computer proficiency (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word).
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to analyse and research complex issues and write factual reports.
- Experience in planning multiple projects.
- Experience in cell culture, protein expression in various systems, and protein purification.
- Experience in vaccine design.
- Experience with production of monoclonal antibodies.
- Competitive Salary depending on experience
- Discretionary Bonus(subject to performance)
- 30 days’ holiday per year plus bank holidays
- Pension: We automatically enrol you in a generous pension scheme with Royal London and will match your contributions up to 10% of salary
- Community: complimentary breakfast/fresh fruit in the office regular team lunches/pizza; company bi-annual social events (Summer and Christmas)
- Health & wellbeing: Private Medical Insurance; Excellent Personal Life Insurance; Employee Assistance programme 24/7 discounted subscriptions to various mental and physical health products and services including a gift box on your birthday
- Family: Paid maternity, paternity, adoption, or shared parental leave, if you have been with us for at least 26 weeks
- Personal development:Learning budget for books, training courses and conferences
- Commuting:Member of cycle-to-work scheme